In reported road traffic accidents in 2014:
- Road deaths increased by 4% compared with 2013, rising to 1,775
- The number of people seriously injured increased by 5% to 22,807 in 2014
- There was a total of 194,477 casualties of all severities in reported road traffic accidents during 2014
- A total of 146,322 personal-injury road traffic accidents were reported to the police in 2014 – of these accidents, 1,658 resulted in at least 1 fatality
- Three-quarters of the increase in road deaths were pedestrian casualties
- Total reported child casualties rose by 6.2% to 16,727, compared with 2013 – there was a similar rise of 5% in the number of seriously injured child casualties and 5 more child deaths in 2014
- Traffic volumes rose by 2.4% between 2013 and 2014 – this is the highest rate of growth of motor vehicle traffic since 1996
Click the graphic for the full report.
Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.