What is an API?
An Application Programming Interface (API) is a method of connecting applications, databases and devices to allow the transfer of data between one system and another.
An API takes requests from a user and tells another system what you want to do i.e. add a driver, terminate a driver. It then returns a response back to the user.
A further graphical explanation can also be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7wmiS2mSXY
What will the API with Licence Bureau do for me?
An API will allow your CMS (Compliance Managed System) Portal and your in‐house database to interact with each other, i.e. a HR database and your CMS portal, to connect and share the data held on each. For example, an API would in its simplest form add and delete starters and leavers.
- Confirm who is a company car and or an owner driver.
- Confirm who has a permit revoked so expenses can be stopped.
- Share courses and learning undertaken.
- Update change of roles.
- Update change of units.
What are the benefits of using an API?
- Real time updating.
- Integration of existing systems rather than completely replacing them.
- Updating of key fields.
- Removes the need to repeat tasks such as data entry, as a user will only need to input information into one system.
- Will provide greater accuracy and avoid human error.
So what do we do next?
Licence Bureau have created a simple API for your company to utilise.
Licence Bureau are able to provide you with a more informative CMS Web API Overview document (ISF 50) for your technical team.
To obtain a copy please contact your account manager or our sales team Sales@licencebureau.co.uk
Your IT team can also utilise ‘dummy’ data for testing purposes. Again please contact your account manager or the Sales team and request an API demo. Sales@licencebureau.co.uk
We look forward to hearing from you.
QMF 193 v3 September 2019